So today was a bad day at work and it has really just got me so frustrated with the whole government. I think most of you know that I am a teacher at a school for kids with severe cognitive and physical disabilities.
I had a student walk in today with a HUGE black-eye! Can she tell us what happened? No, she can't because she is scared and doesn't know how to answer the questions. So I do what I have to and call DSS to report the child abuse. Try calling the mom, of course the phone is disconnected. DSS sounds aggravated that I am even taken up their time to report this. But they come to the school to check it out anyway. What is this going to do? Probably nothing, just like last year when I had to report abuse to the same child. DSS did nothing but give mom some "community support" phone numbers....did mom call? Did they make mom call? Did they follow up any more to make sure that the child was safe? NO!! They did nothing! I just I ask myself how can this be?
Then there is another student in my room who has such a severe physical aggression problem that he can't be controlled. He is at my school b/c of his behavior (even though we aren't a behavior school) and b/c he has cognitive disabilities. Even though he is far smarter than anyone else in my room and in most of the school for that matter, he is still there. He is in a classroom of defenseless children that he has repeatedly attacked. Is there any help for him? Nope, he is too low mentally to go to the behavior school in the district, he has cognitive disabilities therefore he can't be served in the hospital setting (which is where he needs to be), he lives with a "therapeutic" foster father who won't even let him go to a treatment facility b/c he doesn't want to loose that income (therapeutic get a lot more money than the normal foster parent)....so what happens, they send him to school everyday b/c when he is there, it's not their problem, it's ours.
"No Child Left Behind"....what a crock! What it really means is that if the students you are teaching don't perform ACADEMICALLY on grade level, you are held accountable. That doesn't mean shit when it comes to these kids who are being abused at home or are in a placement that is not appropriate for them or the students around them who are getting beat up by these other behavior students. Or for the teachers who get hit, kicked, slapped, spit on and threatened everyday. Nope, every child has the right to an education. That's great, I do agree with that, but at the same time, it has to be appropriate!!! And there has to be support out there for these kids! Do they care about the abuse at home, the behaviors these kids have that affect everyone else around them? No, they just care if they pass the test. Here I am being told by the government that what I teach needs to be age and grade appropriate. So I should be teaching them equations, Shakespeare, chemical reactions so on and so forth like a "normal" 6, 7,8th grader...when half my kids can't even identify their own name! Most are nonverbal and require total care (feeding, changing diapers, hand over hand assistants to complete work). But hey, they need to be learning what peers of "normal" intelligence are learning.........bullshit!
That is all the government cares about. The academics. What about the physical and emotional well being of these special needs kids??? They could give a damn if a child is being abused, if a child needs some kind of behavior, mental and psychological support services, if another student(s) are suffering from that behavior student. Who the hell cares as long as they are on grade level? The government is failing these kids and they are just slipping through the cracks. So while this little girl is getting beat up at home and while I am getting hit/threatened b/c no one can control his behaviors, I will continue to teach like the government wants even though it is not in the BEST interests of any of these kids. Because that is my job. I will do what I can to protect these kids, but where is the help?
Tuesday, January 8, 2008
Needing to vent - Sorry
Posted by JDB at 8:11 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment