NO SUCH LUCK!! Warning...not for those with weak stomachs.
It started Friday. David picked me up from school and then we headed for Wilmington (beach city in NC). David’s aunt,uncle and two cousins live there and his grandparents and other aunt and uncle from PA were down there visiting so the whole Pinti family went down as well. When he picked me up I saw a couple, what looked like mosquito bites, on his wrists and ankles. Didn’t think much about it. Then we stopped for gas around 5:30 and there were more spots. Called my stepmom, Carol, and had her Google some stuff…couldn't figure it out. Stopped a lil bit before 7 to eat and he had more. By the time we got to the hotel and stripped him down, he went from about 12 to over 100 spots (if I had to guess). So I called the on call nurse at the pediatrician’s office. She walked through everything and asked a ton of questions. Finally she came to the conclusion that he had an allergic reaction to the amoxicillin he was on. She said to stop giving it to him and then just take him to urgent care in the morning to have them confirm. Went to bed.
When I woke up Saturday morning and opened the curtains to see Heath completely covered in this rash. His cheeks were fire red with just one huge bump. I freaked out! Started crying and yelled at David to get up so we could take him to the doctor. In his GPS the closest thing was the hospital, so we went to the ER. No one else was there so we got in and out rather quickly. The doctor said it was a reaction to the amoxicillin. He would be fine, just don’t give it to him anymore and it will go away within a couple days. See ya!
Saturday went on and he kept looking worse and worse. The bumps starting growing into each other so you couldn't see where one began or one ended. He was a bit grumpy and tired.
That night his red bumps started turning purple. Like they were bruising. And his hands and feet had a purple tint to them added to the little fever, we just didn’t feel good about it.
So Saturday night we went back to the ER. A different doctor said it was a reaction to the meds. But he said that the first doctor should have given him a steroid. So he gave him that along with Motrin for the fever and said see ya.
Sunday morning we woke up and started to take off his PJs and his entire arms and legs were purple like he wasn’t getting circulation! And he had a fever of 102.5. I called the on call nurse (for the 100th time) and then the ER and spoke to the first doctor that saw him. He said he was going to call the other hospital and tell the pediatrician on call there that we were on our way. I really flipped out! Crying and panicking we packed up the room and headed to the other ER. That doctor put in an IV to do blood tests and give meds and then a catheter to get a urine sample. Finally…someone did tests!! She said that it was a reaction to the amoxicillin, but they also found that he had some kind of virus and evidence of a strep infection somewhere in his body. So all of that combined made my poor baby look and feel horrible.
We had a follow up with his normal doctor in Charlotte Monday. He said he thinks everything is on the mend and he will be back to normal soon. Thank God it wasn’t anything worse!
So much for our weekend beach trip. :)
Saturday morning in the ER...

Saturday afternoon...
Saturday night right before 2nd trip to the ER...
Can you see the purple tint in his feet?...
I was so upset Sunday morning, I didn't get a chance to take pics. But you can only imagine more spots and purple legs and arms!
Wednesday, April 22, 2009
Looking forward to a fun, relaxing weekend...
Posted by JDB at 8:36 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Oh Jenn! That must have been terrifying! I can't even imagine the fear you must have felt! I'm so glad he's doing okay! Poor baby!
Poor Heath!! I know things like that are so scary! I'm glad to hear it all worked out and he's doing alright.
Post a Comment