Just when we thought everything was going to be okay with Heath...he started running a 101* fever. He had one for almost 24 hours, even with the Tylenol, it wouldn't go down. So I called the doctor this morning. We brought him in to be checked. The doctor looked at his ears, mouth, throat, everything to see if there was something visible that would cause the fever. Nothing! So he ordered a blood test. The nurse pricked his toe to get the blood. He cried, but he did really well with that. They got the results rather quickly. His White Blood Cell Count was very high...indicating infection. Now where is the infection because it is not anything that the doctor can visibly see?? So then the doctor ordered a chest x-ray (one of the worse contraptions I've ever seen-if you have ever seen a baby get a chest x-ray, you know what I mean), he screamed the whole time threw that and I don't blame him. Then he ordered a catheter to get a urine sample. Why wasn't David there for that one!!!??? I had to help hold him down while they stuck that lil tube up his pee-pee! Ouch! Again, lots of screaming. Then he had to go have a needle stuck in his arm so they could draw some more blood and send it away for a blood culture test. Crying and more crying with mommy being the bad guy holding him down. The doctor said that the urine looked clear which lead him to believe there isn't a UTI or bladder infection. But they still sent it away to be tested. The x-ray came back looking completely clear...nothing in his lungs. Now we have to wait for the blood culture test to come back. They take 48 hours!!! So we just have to keep treating his fever with Tylenol or Motrin and look for any new symptoms until the doctor gets the results back. He is afraid to start a new antibiotic if he doesn't know what it is treating and he is worried about him having another allergic reaction (he wouldn't give him amoxicillin any more, but something else could cause the same thing we just went threw) and if that were to happen, it would be hard to determine if it was the new antibiotic or the old amoxicillin reaction.
I don't know who cried more today...Heath or his mommy. :( I just want him to feel better. I hope this all gets figured out soon!
So now we wait.
Thursday, April 23, 2009
Poor Baby
Posted by JDB at 9:11 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
oh jenn, you and yours are in our prayers..
love,
~k
Jen oh my goodness I just read your blog and how horrible. Elijah (just turned 3) was just on a antibotic recently and he also broke out in spots and a horible rash and fever that lasted on and off for 4 days. He didnt have the purple bruising appearance but he had the spots from the antibiotic and he has never had that before. It was really weird. I wonder if there was a bad batch of antibiotics or something, who knows. So they gave him another antibiotic and he cleared up but I know how helpless it makes you feel, because that was how I felt just watching Eli go through it. I will be praying for your little man to get better and that they figure out what exactly is causing all of this and get him better. Poor Baby and Poor Mommy!!!
I will certainly pray that God gives you some answer and begins to heal H's little body! I can't imagine the pain you are in as well.
Post a Comment