CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, December 6, 2008

Down we go!

For my birthday, David surprised me with a weekend getaway to go skiing. We went to Beech Mountain, NC and stayed in a dutch style hotel right at the top of the mountain. Our view was very nice. Friday night when we got there we found a place to rent our skis and had dinner at a local pizza place. Saturday we slept in a lil bit, because we never get to do that anymore, and then we headed to the slopes. We went to Ski Beech right down the road from the hotel. It was opening day, so they didn't have all the lifts or runs open, but that was fine. David and I haven't been skiing in a long time, so we didn't need to attempt the black diamonds this time. :)
We did pretty well. David fell at least 3 times because he was getting cocky and thought he could handle it (this was only his third time skiing). I did better. The first time I fell was when we weren't even skiing, my pole got caught under my ski waiting in line...opps! The second time David pushed me getting off the lift. So neither of those were when I was actually skiing. The third time was as we were heading back to the car. We already had our skis off and were standing next to the stairs to go to the parking lot. I said we should go that way, David argued and said we needed to ski around the building and go that way. Whatever. We put the skis back on and headed around. Well, the hill to the parking lot did not have fresh snow on it. So when I started to cut my skis into the "snow" to slow down and stop...it was straight ice! My ski flew off and down I went! I thought I broke my tailbone! It hurt so bad, I started to cry. David had to walk up the hill to try and help me stand. I could barely walk. So at the very end of the day, I fell. It's David's fault...we should have taken the stairs. :)

The view from our window...

On top of the ski slope...

Ice on the trees, looked pretty cool...

Me coming down the hill almost at the bottom b/c David wasn't paying attention...

David coming down...

On the lift going to the top...

Ice on trees...


That night even though I was still hurting, we decided to go to the tubing park. Hawksnest used to be a ski slope, but they changed it over to just tubing. You would not believe how fast you go down the hills. They don't even look that big, but I feared for my life a couple times because I was going so fast and you have no control over anything! David loved it, but I got nervous towards the end of our session because the snow had just been compacted into ice with all the people going down. They have a very large burm at the bottom of the most popular runs and David went up and over it because he was going so fast. Even though I was quite scared at times, I would still recommend it to people. If you thought sledding was fun...go to this tube park and see what you think.

I tried to get David as he was coming down, but he was going so fast I couldn't get a good pic...

The ice the runs turned into...

One of the runs...

Me pretending...but I am sure I did look like this going down... :)

0 comments: